Re: [LAU] problems with cdrecord

From: James Cameron <quozl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 07 2007 - 04:13:35 EEST

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 06:37:32PM +0200, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
> cmd finished after 12.673s timeout 200s
> wodim: OPC failed.

During power calibration phase, the drive found that the medium was not
suitable. It claims a problem with the medium, not the drive. It
claims to be within the area of the medium used for power calibration.

This may be caused by any of the following:

1. recent medium (platter) used on a drive that does not support the
medium, (e.g. due to drive being too old, or lacking firmware support,
or you purchased medium from shop that is incompatible by design),

2. optical obstruction (dirt) on the medium in that area, try another
one, ... something like this has happened to me with fibre or fluff
caught in the hub,

3. laser has deteriorated beyond the point that will write with that
type of medium, try another type of medium.

--
James Cameron    mailto:quozl@email-addr-hidden     http://quozl.netrek.org/