Re: [LAU] bit [OT]: How to attach running app to tty

From: G Quested <garryq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 09 2007 - 15:42:20 EEST

On Jul 9, 2007 at 12:16pm, nescivi wrote:

> Hi Julien,
>
> On Monday 09 July 2007 09:35:21 Julien Claassen wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Does anyone know, if I can attach a running process to a tty? The problem
>> is, when I use lash, my apps get restarted and run ok, but I can't really
>> use them. I suppose with a GUI this is no problem, because there is only
>> one screen.
>> Anyway it doesn't work with shell-built-ins, because it's not the same
>> old shell they get started in.
>> Any ideas suggestions on this are highly appreciated.
>
> the only way I know, is to use the program "screen".
> screen starts a shell, to which you can reattach later.
> so the procedure would be:
>
> start screen
> inside the screen shell start your program
> exit the screen shell
>
> and later
> reattach to the screen shell and you are back into the program that you
> started.

I don't use Screen so please correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think
this will work because the lash apps will not be part of an existing
Screen session so Screen will not be aware of them.

There is a program called retty that should do what you need. I
haven't tried it though.

What you really need is for lash to start these applications in a
terminal for you (is this possible?).

Garry.

> sincerely,
> Marije