Re: [LAU] newbie to Linux audio

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 20:12:22 EEST

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 08:44 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> I'd never heard any music with quantization/rate better than
> 16-bit/44.1kHz. I didn't intend to answer the question of which
> format is better nor for which application. I was just curious
> as to what it sounds like.

doesn't really matter. it was established as much as 80 years ago (and
possibly longer) that non-blind or even single-blind testing infallibly
distorts the results of any kind of evaluation, whether its house paint,
toothpaste, shoe comfort, chili powder or audio quality. any time you
want to establish that something is subjectively better than something
else, you owe it to yourself to figure out how to do that using double
blind techniques. its not about you, or the thing being tested. its
about the way human perception and psychology work.

> guitar player, and they run at 44.1kHz. I believe ardour wants
> all of it's data in the same format for each project, though
> projects can differ from each other.

ardour doesn't care, but it also doesn't dynamically resample, so if you
mix sample rates, you will get pitch-shifting effects.

--p