Re: [LAU] how does ubuntu studio compare to jacklab?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 23 2007 - 09:46:09 EEST

Hallo,
Robert Persson hat gesagt: // Robert Persson wrote:

> How does Ubuntu Studio compare to JackLab?
> 2. JackLab ships with a kernel better optimised for realtime than the
> ubuntu low-latency kernel. However a realtime kernel for Ubuntu is
> available from a 3rd party repository.

Isn't JackLab a 3rd party repository to OpenSuSE itself? Ubuntustudio
should have a kernel that is just as "realtime" as the one in JackLab,
if not, use the one from 64Studio or rollyour own.

> 3. Between Ubuntu and its 3rd-party repositories, and between SuSE and
> its 3rd-party repositories, you can probably get more or less anything
> you want, but is one nevertheless more comprehensive than the other?

Ubuntu is based on Debian, which is the largest software collection of
any distribution.

> 5. Ubuntu Studio ships with Gnome as the default desktop environment,
> although you can easily switch to KDE or XFCE. JackLab ships with
> Enlightenment as the default environment, but with KDE also installed
> (have I got that right?). KDE is slow and bloated (although I still
> like it for general purpose workstation use). Gnome is not as slow,
> but it is relatively inflexible considering its complexity; if I don
> need to use the workstation for graphics then Gnome would be useless
> because you can't manage fonts. I could live with XFCE for audio and
> video stuff, but not for much else. I'm not at all familiar with
> Enlightenment. Theoretically I should just be able to log into
> whichever environment suits the need of the moment, but in practice I
> have found that KDM doesn't play well with Gnome, nor GDM with KDE.
> Would switching from Enlightenment and KDE in JackLab, depending on
> what I was doing, cause me any problems? Will the better optimised
> KDE4 make KDE a viable option for working in time-based media?

As you write, the distributions selected some environments as their
default environment. But nothing is stopping any user on a system from
using something else. So you can just install whatever desktop and WM
you like and stay with it.

> Is one distribution more stable and reliable than the other?

I don't think so.

> 7. I have found the community of Ubuntu users to be less knowledgeable
> than, say, that of Gentoo users. For instance I have not managed to
> get solutions to technical problems with Ubuntu on IRC. I have had
> better luck on the forums, although this has not been nearly as good
> as the help I used to receive on the gentoo-user mailing list in the
> days when I was using Gentoo. (That said, I haven't had too many
> serious problems with Ubuntu). How does the SuSE community compare in
> this regard?

I've heard, SuSE users look better, but I suppose someone has tried to
fool me.

> 8. Are the packages for one distribution (including those from the
> principal 3rd party repositories) more stable and reliable than those
> of the other?

No, none are better than the other.

Ciao