Re: [LAU] Music made with Linux

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 24 2007 - 12:57:54 EEST

On Tue, 2007-07-24 at 11:53 +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Jan Depner wrote:
> > Here I am, back again. I've added a song to my site. It's only missing
> > a few things:
> >
> > a real drummer
> > someone who can play bass
> > someone who can sing
> > an entire band that really knows how to play reggae
> >
> > You know, just a few things ;-) This is more a proof of concept than
> > anything else. It's really all about the story (which is on the site).
> > For those interested, the implements of destruction are:
> >
> > Home-made guitar ;-)
> > Roland GR-9 guitar synth (organ)
> > Mesa Boogie Maverick Dual Rectifier 212
> > Digitech RP250
> > Blue Ball mic
> > ESP 854 bass through an Art Pro Channel
> > Alesis SR-16
> >

> > http://www.thecfband.com/Bio/MyMusic/MyMusic.html
> >

> > Oh, the name of the song is "Joe Black" (ya gotta read the story to
> > understand).
>
> It sounds ok. But one important tip about reggae. The rhythm is mostly a so
> called "one drop" which means that the 1 is not emphasized. Instead the
> emphasis is on the beats 2 and 4 [or on beat 3 depending on how you count]:
>
> time: 1 . . . 2 . . . 3 . . . 4 . . .
>
> guitar: | | | |
> kick: | |
>
> A reggae with emphasis/kick on 1 simply doesn't sound right :) Or better: A
> reggae with emphasis ONLY on 1 doesn't sound right..
>
> Here's an example of a very simple reggae "riddim" just to illustrate the
> point:
>
> http://tapas.affenbande.org/one_drop.ogg

    That is what I would call standard reggae and, in fact, the Alesis
had two reggae type beats of which that was the first. What I was
looking for was closer to the second one that the Alesis offered (which
is the one I used). Actually, what I really wanted was something more
along the lines of "Behind The Veil" from Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop album.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69