Re: [LAU] Realtek ALC882D

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 10:58:07 EEST

Quoting Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 08:55:19AM +0200, Malte Steiner wrote:
> > I am still searching for the ultimate solution for the dreaded laptop
> > hum and guess the only real one to end it all is to get a RME PCMCIA
> > Card with Digiface and separate converters connected with optical ADAT,
> or?
> >

> The solution for me was to remove or lift the ground pin on the laptop's
> power supply.
>
> After a lot of testing and asking questions on lists (including this
> one), that was the solution.

That is an extremely dangerous thing to do. Quoting
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/problem_solving.html:

"Do not do this. Removing the ground connection isn't right. It is against
electrical safety regulations and potentially very dangerous. Removing
ground connection can defeat the actions of your noise filter or spike
protectors inside the equipments. If the ground connection is cut then a
fault in the isulation inside equipment will cause dangerous voltages to the
equipment case instead of burning a fuse. Removing the ground connection
from the equipments which have it is dangerous, against electronic safety
regulations and you risk damaging your equipment. Running without a power
ground will not automatically electrocute you but will make this much more
propable if something goes wrong in your system."

  Sampo