Re: [LAU] programs (eg. rosegarden) don't see my usb midi device

From: Alessandro Preziosi <lsnpreziosi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 21:52:16 EEST

update:
I booted into an ubuntu live cd and the um-1s worked, I took a look at the loaded modules (a LOT!):
(the arrows shows which modules I did not have)

snd_rtctimer
snd_usb_audio
snd_usb_lin
--->snd_hwdep

^these were loaded after inserting the device I think

snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec
--->snd_pcm_oss
--->snd_mixer_oss
--->snd_pcm
snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_oss
--->snd_seq_midi
--->snd_rawmidi
snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq
--->snd_timer
snd_seq_device
--->snd

--->soundcore
--->sndp_age_alloc (used by snd_hda_intel, snd_pcm)
--->usbcore(used by snd_usb_audio a snd_usb_lib)

should I load some of these modules?
or recompile the kernel with more things as module?

PS: i tried to load for ex. snd-hwdep,snd,snd-rawmidi,snd-page-alloc,soundcore but they don't exist

Thank you all,

ale

Alessandro Preziosi <lsnpreziosi@email-addr-hidden> wrote: I've tried to load snd-seq-midi and then use aseqdump -l
but it still doesn't appear!
I'd like to understand what's the problem...
Maybe everything would work after a complete reinstall...

Waiting for other hints...

Ale

Alessandro Preziosi <lsnpreziosi@email-addr-hidden> wrote: >Does it appear in the output of "aseqdump -l"?
I answer late, anyway this is the output of aseqdump -l:

 Port Client name Port name
  0:0 System Timer
  0:1 System Announce
 14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0

It doesn't appear :(

Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@email-addr-hidden> wrote: Alessandro Preziosi wrote:
> Actually snd-seq-midi wasn't loaded.
> Anyway even after loading it with modprobe I did not see changes (tried
> to load before and after inserting the um-1s)

Does it appear in the output of "aseqdump -l"?

Regards,
Clemens

Thanks for the help.
Actually snd-seq-midi wasn't loaded.
Anyway even after loading it with modprobe I did not see changes (tried to load before and after inserting the um-1s)

This is my lsmod: (without snd-seq-midi)
Module Size Used by
snd_rtctimer 4640 1
ieee80211_crypt_wep 6272 1
snd_seq_dummy 4868 0
snd_seq_oss 30464 0
snd_seq_midi_event 8064 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 47184 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 8716 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
nvidia 6836340 22
snd_usb_audio 72928 0
snd_usb_lib 16128 1 snd_usb_audio
sdhci 18572 0
mmc_core 26628 1 sdhci
pcmcia 36524 0
ipw3945 106272 1
e100 33672 0
ieee80211 31944 1 ipw3945
ieee80211_crypt 6912 2 ieee80211_crypt_wep,ieee80211
i2c_i801 8588 0
i2c_core 21760 2 nvidia,i2c_i801
iTCO_wdt 11684 0
iTCO_vendor_support 4868 1 iTCO_wdt
intel_agp 23836 1
serio_raw 7684 0
snd_hda_intel 20632 1
snd_hda_codec 153344 1 snd_hda_intel
tifm_7xx1 8576 0
tifm_core 11268 1 tifm_7xx1
yenta_socket 25996 1
rsrc_nonstatic 13184 1 yenta_socket
pcspkr 4096 0
joydev 10176 0
tg3 100484 0
e1000 112704 0
unionfs 70340 0
sl811_hcd 12672 0
ohci_hcd 19844 0
uhci_hcd 22928 0
ehci_hcd 29964 0

PS: I recently upgraded udev to version 108 (using gentoo) can this be linked to my problem (it didn't work before, but maybe with that module...)?

Bye,thanks

Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@email-addr-hidden> wrote: Alessandro Preziosi wrote:
> I have an edirol um-1s to connect my keybord to my pc.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> 1 [UM1 ]: USB-Audio - UM-1
> EDIROL UM-1 at usb-0000:00:1d.2-1, full speed
>
> If I cat /dev/midi1 i get (in real time) the data stream of what I play
> on the keyboard.
> Anyway rosegarden dosn't list the device among MIDI input devices, so I
> cannot record what I play on my keyboard.

Some old kernels do not automatically load the snd-seq-midi module;
make sure that it is loaded.

HTH
Clemens