Re: [LAU] What's some good hardware for recording??

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 28 2007 - 11:01:01 EEST

Hi,

Am Samstag, 28. Juli 2007 schrieb Brian King:
> I'm looking for a hardware interface for recording purposes...

But you didn't tell your financial and quality needs. So lets see.

> At the moment I have a basic sound card that I either plug my guitar
> into and run it into ardour which creates a single track or I have a mic
> that sits in the middle of everyone jamming but I'd like to get a
> m-audio delta 44 or similar so I can have more than one input stream for
> multi track recording?? I've heard of a delta 1010LT which has 2
> preamped microphone inputs which is good.....

While the 1010LT is cheap, it has the converters builtin (the same for the 44
and 66), which means they pick up the electronic noise from inside the
computer. And there is a lot of this electronic noise, otherwise the cases
wouldn't need to be made of metal to shield the environment...
The alternative staying with M-Audio is the Delta1010 (without the LT) which
seems to have the converters in the breakout-box and has good quality.

> So what else is out there that's in this vein???
> Other brands that are just as compatible in linux??

There is a whole spectrum of compatible devices reaching from 2-channel USB
interfaces to 8 and more channel Firewire interfaces.
And there are other pci cards capable of professional quality. RME comes to
mind.

> I like the breakout box type connection interface....

Well, if I hadn't bought a Presonus Firepod, I would have gone with some RME
card with ADAT-IO and some external ADAT interfaces. Probably starting with
the cheap Behringer ADA8000 first and upgrading/extending with higher quality
ones when the money comes back.
But as firewire also works with my laptop I started with the firepod. :-)

You should take a look on the alsa-project.org and ffado.org website to see
which cards are supported and cross-check that with the website/catalog of
your local music equipment dealer to learn about prices and features.

And you can ask which devices (in your quality- and price-range) others would
recommend...

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/