Re: [LAU] What's some good hardware for recording??

From: Victor Roetman <victory747@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 10:27:52 EEST

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 10:01:01AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
>
>> While the 1010LT is cheap, it has the converters builtin (the same for the 44
>> and 66), which means they pick up the electronic noise from inside the
>> computer. And there is a lot of this electronic noise, otherwise the cases
>> wouldn't need to be made of metal to shield the environment...
>>

> While that is theoretically true, in my own practical experience it
> hasn't been an issue with my 66. I think many others here have had good
> experiences with these cards, even though the converters are inside the
> case on the PCI card. That said, ianaa (audiophile) and ymmv.

I've also heard very good things about the 1010LT. It's certainly going
to be as good as any other card that sits in the computer, but has a lot
more flexibility. The XLR inputs and pre-amps are a nice addition as
well if you are trying to stay on a budget. I have the Delta 1010
(twice the price of the 1010LT and no pre-amps), and it's very nice
because all the input and output will take balanced lines. I find it to
be extremely quiet. I use the pre-amps on my Mackie 1402-VLZ which are
nothing to write home about, but are good enough for anything I might do
for now.

If you want to stay cheap but still have good quality and have the extra
inputs, I think the 1010LT would be a great way to go. In my experience
with music equipment, I've often regretted getting just what I need, and
have never regretted getting more than I need with a bit more flexibility.

vic