Re: [LAU] usb-2.0 harddisc

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 03 2007 - 16:24:59 EEST

On 8/3/07, Dragan Noveski <perodog@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > USB 2.0 is plenty fast for recording audio tracks. you should not have
> > a problem with that at all, assuming it's a good disk and the system's
> > USB implementation is done correctly.
> >
> > Just mount the drive and run hdparm -tT to get an idea of the drive's
> > speed. I'm sure it will be fine.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
> >

> mark, very much thanks for the response!
> i think i ll go for a combination of an ata-laptop-drive, with this
> usb-case-adapter for it.
> that seems cheap, and i do not need an extra power chord for the
> external drive than - which is important for me, since everything runs
> on solarpower, 12Vdc here.
>
> cheers,
> doc

Sounds nice not to have the power cords. I've got 3 Firewire drives
and often get tired of all the power connections. Each drive has a
different power supply and I've got to get them matched up correctly.
A small drive that gets power from the bus would be far nicer for fast
setup and tear down.

Good luck.

- Mark