Re: [LAU] mute laptop speakers with Intel HDA

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 07:08:11 EEST

Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:58:41 -1000,
> gnome@email-addr-hidden wrote:
>> The reason you see the options for "caller ID" and "off hook" is that
>> the Intel HDA chipset also includes a modem. My laptop uses Intel HDA,
>> and I'm used to the modem part showing up as if it were an audio device.
>>
>> The audio works on my laptop except for an inability to record from the
>> mic input. Last I heard, ALSA was blaming the kernel, and kernel
>> developers were blaming ALSA. Although I haven't tried it since my most
>> recent kernel update.
>
> An interesting rumor. Where did you hear such a thing?

IIRC, it's my slightly-dramatized rendering of what one of the ALSA
developers said when he responded to my bug report about not being able
to record from the mic input on my Intel chipset. He basically said that
the ALSA driver was not being notified *by the kernel* that the audio
input buffer was full and ready to be read. He advised me to try again
with a more recent kernel. Now the part about the kernel people blaming
it on ALSA developers may have come from this list.

But all that was a couple of years ago. I've not taken the time to try
recording via the laptop mic, because I'm planning to equip one of my
desk systems (with much more disk space and a real sound card!) to serve
that function.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden