Re: [LAU]Sound card doesn't work

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 04 2007 - 23:27:45 EEST

On Saturday 04 August 2007 21:24, J M Needham wrote:
> Hi, anyone,
>
> Sorry if this is annoying, I just don't get what to do.
> $ cat /dev/random > /dev/dsp
> does nothing.
> killall artsd
>
> followed by $play file.wav yields output where play seems to eb playing
> the file, but nothing is coming out.
>
> Relevant output from lspci yielded
> 00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
> 00:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy Game Port (rev
> 03)
> 00:08.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Creative Labs SB Audigy FireWire Port
>
> Relevant from lsmod
>
> snd_emu10k1_synth 8192 0
> snd_emux_synth 35456 1 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_seq_virmidi 7936 1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_seq_midi_emul 7680 1 snd_emux_synth
> snd_emu10k1 121248 4 snd_emu10k1_synth
> snd_ac97_codec 98336 1 snd_emu10k1
> ac97_bus 3200 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss 44544 0
> snd_mixer_oss 17408 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 79876 4 snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_page_alloc 10888 2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
> snd_util_mem 5760 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
> snd_hwdep 9988 2 snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1
> snd_seq_dummy 4740 0
> snd_seq_oss 32896 0
> snd_seq_midi 9600 0
> snd_rawmidi 25472 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq_midi_event 8448 3 snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq 52592 9
> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,
>snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event snd_timer 23684 3
> snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device 9100 8
> snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_emux_synth,snd_emu10k1,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_
>seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq via_agp 11264 1
> serio_raw 7940 0
> via686a 17416 0
> i2c_isa 6272 1 via686a
> i2c_viapro 10132 0
> snd 54020 18
> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_m
>ixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq
>_device
>
> Kernel version is 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15
> 07:36:31 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm running Kubuntu Feisty. Now, the soundcard still works on my other
> partition; on Feisty we have
>
> 0 [Audigy ]: Audigy - Audigy 1 [SB0090]
> Audigy 1 [SB0090] (rev.3, serial:0x531102) at 0xcc00,
> irq 11
>
> which is identical to dapper. I know I've posted beforut this but I've no
> idea what exactly is wrong. Apps say sound is going to the soundcard, but
> nothign comes out. If no-one replies, I'll leave it. I won't post again on
> this topic.
>
> Jonty

Hi Jonty. It may be worth having a good look at alsamixer, as changes have
been made to it. Audigy A is the switch that enables the analogue sound. I'm
in Sarge at the mo, but I'll boot up Etch, as I know alsamixer has changed on
that (more switches).

Well I've booted Debian Lenny (testing), and alsamixer is much the same as
Sarge for my Audigy2 soundblaster (emu10k1). I think the extra switches must
be on one of my Fedora installs. I know there's a switch on the PCM slider
for example, to unmute PCM.

There appears to be nothing wrong with your lsmod output.

The 3 main controls that need to be up are the master, pcm, and front. I'm
using KDE desktop, and my cdrom drive for playing music cd's has the digital
cable connected from the drive to the soundcard. The slider that needs to up
to get sounds from music cd's is Audigy C.

Sorry I can't suggest more at the moment.

Nigel.

<Earlier post>