Re: [LAU] plugins

From: Tom Szilagyi <tomszilagyi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 01:14:37 EEST

On 8/10/07, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 10 August 2007 at 0:55, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:06:53AM -0700, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > > When I use Audacity, why does every plugin show up twice in the
> > > effects list? Looking on my hard drive it looks like the plugins are
> > > only installed in one place, /usr/lib/ladspa, and they all come from
> > > either swh-plugins-0.4.14-1mdk or tap-plugins-0.7.0-2mdk.

Just a hunch (I have developed both LADSPA plugins and a host):
The problem may be due to the fact that some hosts have hard-wired
defaults for plugin locations. This makes them work for the default
case (plugins in /usr/lib/ladspa) even with no LADSPA_PATH set.
However, if it is set, the host may iterate over its hard-wired path
*and* the paths found in LADSPA_PATH, thus resulting in visiting
each plugin more than once. If this is indeed the cause, the fix is
to amend the host to drop duplicate paths from the merged list
of paths (from hard-wired paths and paths from LADSPA_PATH).
Or not use its hard-wired path at all if it finds LADSPA_PATH set.

Tom