Re: [LAU] Wine alsa midi output

From: Chris McCormick <chris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 16:32:34 EEST

Hi Dave,

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 06:51:28AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
> >I am trying to run a [GPL] app under Wine, and read it's midi output
> >into Pd.
>
> Normally the Windows app should have a MIDI I/O Preferences dialog. I
> select the ports within the app, then route the sends & receives via
> QJackCtl's MIDI connections panel. The apps themselves won't be shown,
> but of course the MIDI Thru and other ports will be there.

Unfortunately this one doesn't have a Midi Output select field (only a
midi input select). Each instrument has two settings though:
"Midi PRG" which is a number box, and below that there's a select box
labelled "Output" which has a list of "midi ch1" to "midi ch16" and then
it changes to "FX1 send" through to "FX50 send". I wonder if I am
mistaken and this is an internal thing and Modplug doesn't actually do
midi output. I guess I will have to track down a windows machine to test
that out.

One other weird thing on my laptop is that I have snd-seq-virmidi loaded
but I do'nt see any virtual midi ports listed.

> Btw, what audio driver are you using with Wine ? I'm getting great
> results from the wineasio driver.

I don't know anything about wineasio. Asio [apart from being the
Australian Security Intelligence Organisation] is the Windows thing for
doing multiple audio outs isn't it? Does that mean that I might be able
to pipe audio out of Modplug into Pd? That would be cool.

Best,

Chris.