Re: [LAU] Re: Suggested video card

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 11:40:33 EEST

Am Montag, 13. August 2007 schrieb David Haggett:
> On Monday 13 August 2007 07:38, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> > Geoff Beasley:
> > > a relatively recent (6000 series or better) nvidia based chipset with
> > > the nvidia drivers will be the best inho.
> > I wouldn't do that. The nvidia drivers have a history of causing xruns.
> > Not that its that bad though. I have always used the nvidia drivers, and
> > they work just fine as long as you don't go below 1024 frames.
> I wouldn't necessarily agree. I've tried several versions of the NVidia
> driver on an RT patched SuSE kernel and the only time I gent XRUNs is if
> the screensaver kicks in when I'm recording. I'm using a setting of 128
> Frames/Period.

I go down to 3x64 (firewire) with rt-patched and the nvidia-binary-driver
loaded. Of course without xruns...

The only disadvantage of binary drivers is that the kernel guys will not help
you debugging if the problem is only there when the blob is loaded. Otherwise
the nvidia-driver works just fine.

Arnold

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/