Re: Re: [LAU] opinions on Ubuntu Studio?

From: <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 18 2007 - 11:55:33 EEST
Hello

> That's what I don't like about Ubuntu
>Studio, you have to wait 6 months to get to use 3 or 5 versions ahead of
>Ardour, for example. Also they don't want to include any other app that is
>not authorized by the official repository and it seems that including
>specialized audio apps is not their first priority (PD-extended or Csound5
>for example).

Yes quite clumsy that is. Especially the latter - there is no reason to exclude apps like slag or phasex from the repos.
But I think, that Ubuntustudio is no priority for Ubuntu/Canonical - because a real audio/video powerstation is indeed NOT the perfect Desktopsystem for the beginner.
So the people from the easy ubuntu usability everything nice and easy department seem to think.
Ubuntustudio is indeed not much more then a theme for Ubuntu.
So I use Xubuntu itself and compile the packages that I miss myself (recent Ardour, Phasex etc)

>Personally, I don't need the latest and greatest... I need a computer that
>will record audio tomorrow... anything beyond that is a bonus.

Dont be so modest ;-)
This I could do with Suse 7.3 back in the mists of the 20iest century.

Most home studios I know are centered around stability... or at least a fear
of change. :)

The Version of Ardour, that is available via the repos is NOT as stable as a recent version. If Bugfix-Releases do not go into the repos, stability is weakened, not upheld.