Re: [LAU] (zoom h4)

From: thomas fisher <studio1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 20:07:24 EEST

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 09:06:15 Peter Finnegan wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 23:08 -0600, stuff@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > Anyone using the H4 Zoom?
> >
> > I am looking for some presales advice before buying. Does it work as a
> > usb interface with Linux?
> >
> > What is your general / overall opinion?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> My colleague just got one for the music department where I work. As a
> standalone recorder, it sounds good and is very easy to use.
>
> I tried it as a usb audio interface for my laptop running ubuntustudio,
> and it does work. When you turn it on, while connected to a computer,
> the h4 will ask to be either audio IO or connect to PC. Both modes work
> just fine, at least on my machine.
>
> I have not used it extensively, as we just got it a few weeks ago. The
> few test recordings my colleagues and I have made sound clear.
>
> PF

 Zoom H4, a great device. It's mic sensitivity requires some tweaking, mine is
set at about 94db. I mostly use the MP3 at 320 kb stereo and get very
satisfactory results, the Wav format will yield even higher resolution. It
easily get 4+ hours on 2 2750mah rechargeables. The H4 does not drive the USB
2 standard to the max transfer rate. I have not used the external mike, nor
the effects. Overall very pleased. Sweetwater is a no BS professional gear
shop and well trained staff. Before buying you may want to check out Zooms
new H4, which is less $, has surround capabilities, larger max SD 4gig
capacity, otherwise reduced features from the H4. Google and listen to some
of the audio postings on the web.
Hope this helps.
Tom F.