Re: [LAU] Edirol FA-101 and output level

From: Hector Centeno <hcengar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 01:04:27 EEST

Thanks Daniel,

I checked out again from SVN and rebuilt. Now I have the test-volume program
but this is what I get when I try to run it:

$ ./test-volume 0 5 -32768
/home/hector/Desktop/libfreebob/tests/.libs/lt-test-volume: symbol lookup
error: /home/hector/Desktop/libfreebob/tests/.libs/lt-test-volume: undefined
symbol:
_ZN16FunctionBlockCmdC1EP15Ieee1394ServiceNS_18EFunctionBlockTypeEhNS_17EControlAttributeE

Also I noticed that on that old thread where this test utility is discussed
( http://linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2006-November/039911.html)
there is mention of not being able to set the outputs with it. Is this
still true? What I need is to lower the volume of the outputs. Also in that
thread there is mention of a "mixer" for doing that. Would that be a
software mixer part of the FA-101 drivers present in Windows? I can't see
any reference to a software mixer in the FA-101 manual.

My problem is that when I plug my ADAM-A7 monitors using balanced cables the
output is too hot and even causes some distortion, when using unbalanced
cables the situation is better but still it feels too hot. The odd thing is
that through the headphones the FA-101 level sounds normal and there is no
distortion. I tested the same monitors with an M-Audio Audiophile and the
level sounds normal. The A7s have volume control labeled from -60db to 6db
with 0db at twelve o'clock. Using the FA-101 I can't go pass -30db (using
balanced or unbalanced cables). With the audiophile I can go up to 0db and
sounds fine.

I'll appreciate any help on this since I'm in the middle of several
projects.

Cheers,

Hector