[LAU] Re : water-damaged rhodes ?

From: Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 25 2007 - 17:10:32 EEST

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:27:30 -0400
> From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: [LAU] water-damaged rhodes ?
> To: LAU Mail List <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
>
> Greetings,
>
> As some of you know, my hometown (Findlay OH) was hit by rather severe
> weather recently, including some impressive floods. I escaped any
> serious damage, but my garage and utility room were flooded. The water
> came up to my doorstep and stopped, thankfully, so the main dwelling
> space was untouched. All my gear is safe and intact.
>
> A large storage facility is near my house, and almost everything in
> the
> sheds has been thrown out and piled by the streets for trash pickup.
> When I walked by the piles this morning I noticed a case with a
> "Rhodes
> Instrument" label. I opened it, it's a mini-Rhodes, and other than the
> water damage it appears to in good condition. I packed it into my
> truck,
> and now I own a mini-Rhodes that needs cleaned and possibly repaired.
>
> So, how should I clean this thing ? My thought is to simply open it up
> and hose it down to get any crap out of its box, then I'll let it dry
> and try firing it up to see if it works. Any other advice or
> suggestions
> for this project ?
>
> Btw, if I get it working I'll sell it locally. It's too heavy to ship,
> it reminds of my bad old band days when we carted a B3 and a full-
> sized
> Rhodes. I admit to missing the great sounds from those instruments,
> but
> my back won't bear the strain these days. ;-)
>
> Best,
>
> dp

What is the most important part of Dave message? the fact he found a
water-damaged rhodes.... or the fact his hometown was hit by rather
severe weather recently, including some impressive floods ?

Speaking today probably the first part, but I would say the second
part will resound like another warning in a short time..

Stephane