Re: [LAU] Loosing stuff is not always a bad thing

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 22:43:52 EEST

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:29:26 +0200
Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi Will. URL's are fine, and so's the tune. Did you have to change much from
> the 1993 version you found on the Acorn?

Thanks Nigel. I'm glad you like it.

The basic melody is changed very little, apart from some timing
corrections and removal of duff notes etc.

> Fancy putting the original up, that was on the Acorn, so we can see how you've
> progressed over the years?

This is a bit complicated. The MIDI file was that old, but the audio
recording I was comparing to was much more recent (early 2000s I think)
by which time I had added more counter melody lines and changed some of
the instruments, and it was THOSE build files I'd lost, including the
sysex data for the SY35. I could probably reasonably accurately recreate
the original, but wonder if it would be worth it.

> btw. I'm working on my first patch from scratch on Phasex for a piano. It's
> not too bad, but sounds not as flat as a piano. I'ts got a bit of a ring to
> it. Do you feel like having a look at it, if you have Phasex installed, and
> seeing what needs to be tweaked to get it to sound more like a real acoustic
> piano?

I do have Phasex, but haven't made a lot of use of it (general inertia).
I'd be delighted to have a copy of your patch - whether I could improve
on it or not is an entirely different matter!

> btw2. I built Horgand a couple of days ago on Fedora 7. Organ sounds +
> accompaniment (spelt that wrong I think). It sounds nice, and has a rotary
> speaker on it. I tried changing audio out from Alsa to Jack, and have totally
> broken it on Fedora 7, but have built it again on Debian Etch, and it's
> working again, with the default Alsa output for audio. I'm not changing Alsa
> to Jack for audio output, as I don't want to risk killing it again. Once
> bitten twice shy.

I use 64studio which has the 1.0.9 version configured with jack output
by default. It seems to work well enough, but again I haven't found
time to do a lot with it.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk