Re: [LAU] An atrocity committed with PD (MIDI Spec) + (XG)

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 02 2007 - 04:35:43 EEST

thomas fisher wrote:
> On Friday 31 August 2007 23:52:33 david wrote:
>> thomas fisher wrote:

>>> How does the " XG " extension play into this? How proprietary is it?
>> I don't know - and each week I play a Yahama PSR-740 keyboard with
>> Yamaha's XG. I've recorded some MIDIs using it, and they open just fine
>> in Rosegarden and play in fluidsynth. Or maybe you're talking about
>> something else?
>
> I do not know either, and was asking in the context of the MIDI discussion. I
> have always assumed that XG was an extension to the standard MIDI
> specification. And again I always assumed that an interpretative function
> existed somewhere in software layers either within a driver or in a filter.
> As with your Yamaha PSR-740 XG are all functions / prsets & ?? interpreted by
> the Linux MIDI? I am only guessing how all of this works.

I've no clue. I have a Yamaha PSR-740 configuration file I use with
Rosegarden that lists all the extended XG voices. I don't know if it has
any support for presets or the pile of other things the keyboard has. I
haven't tried driving the PSR-740 from Rosegarden, since I don't yet
have MIDI set up.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden