Re: [LAU] Muse segfaults

From: David Baron <d_baron@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 17:04:01 EEST

On Wednesday 05 September 2007, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David Baron wrote:
> > All recent 0.9 variants and the 1.0 preview.
> >
> :-/
> :
> > I noticed that much of its compiles are being done with -O3. I believe
> > other programs had problems with this as well, that recent gcc/g++ et al
> > are untested with optimization levels other than 1. Lmms-0.3 is compiling
> > with -O2. See if that works.

It does.

> Ok, interesting.
>
> > Anybody had the problem? Fixed it?
>
> Not really.
> What distribution are you using?
> How was it compiled?
> Does it segfault directly on startup?

Using Debian Sid, fairly up-to-date but full upgrading is a mess right now.
Gcc,g++ are most recent.

Muse is compiled with VST enabled. Tried with and without processor specific
compile and optimizations. That -O3 seems hard wired in the sub-folder
Makefiles.

Muse 1. Checks for Jack
2. Checks ladspa plugins (complains about some of them lacking a symbol but
will still segfault if I run with "-p").
3. Attempts to reserve a slug of memory.
4. Segfaults. (The above may or may not be the problem)

> Do try to enable core dump generation (usually with ulimit -c unlimited)
> and check the core file with gdb <binary> <core file> and see what it
> has crashed on. Since your binary is probably built without symbols it
> might be a bit terse, still it might give some clues.
> Or try rebuilding with debug enabled.

I could try a dbg run and post the traces.