Re: [LAU] How much does my new SB Extigy suck and why?

From: Bearcat M. Sandor <HomeTheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 18:58:04 EEST

Arnold,

Strange that they'd use one set of drivers for the front and rear. Huh. I try
to keep my volume down at those levels too and it does seem to make a
difference.

Can you explain why we seem to have 2 "Master" sliders and 2 "Line-In"
sliders?

Strangely enough, i was so distressed by the sound yesterday that i took it
out of the system and re-introduced my Nvidia chip-set ("Hi, Nvidia meet my
Carver amp. Again."), When i listened to it carefully it only sounded a
little better, but more to the point the smoke damage was showing again with
channel drop-outs.

So i re-reintroduced the SB ("Hey SB meet my Carver amp. Again." Carver: "Will
you quit talking to me?! I'm just trying to sit here an hum by myself"). I
recompiled my kernel and alsa-libs and fired it up. It actually sounded OK.
Then i played a track through mplayer with a switch of -srate 48000 and it
sounded better still.

I donno why i sounds better this time, but hearing is *so* based on
expectations. It's not great, but it will do till i can afford something
better. I wonder how much better the M-Audo Audiophile sounds?

As far as your Tascam goes i might consider that. How much do you want for it
and how much higher is the sound quality? All i need is stereo out + line-in
for mythtv.

Thanks,

Bearcat