Re: [LAU] Advice for buying speakers

From: Johannes Mario Ringheim <jri@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 07 2007 - 19:36:45 EEST

Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
>> You're not specifying the price range. However, I'm very happy with my
>> KRK Rokit 6 active speakers, and I've heard that many others are happy
>> with them too. They're about £450 in Norway.
>
> That's way too much for me right now, and probably a whole lot
> more than I actually need (both the number of speakers and probably
> the quality, too). 400 EUR is the **hard** upper limit for me.
>

>> To me I prefer active speakers because:
>>
>> [...]
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, that would have been my next question.
>
> The Alesis speakers mentioned by Arnold do already hit my budget hard,
> but I think 333 EUR is still pretty cheap for them, considering the
> exclusively positive reviews I found.
> So maybe I'll go for them, although I'm still unsure because an external
> amp seems more flexible to me.

Now I recall my uncle recommending me some Alesis active speakers, some
model in the price range you describe. I generally trust him when it
comes to things like these, but I haven't listened to them myself. He
got the best quality when the speakers was lying rather than standing.
He also told me that the left and the right speaker had different
(mirrored) placement of high-freq element (left and right speaker is
different). This is generally also a quality sign for speakers.

Perhaps you should also check for the pricing of the KRK's. Norway is
generally expensive on things like these, and if you go to the store and
talk with them yourself, you might be able to get them to shave off the
price a little (I was).

--
Ringheims Auto - Fri musikk for bilstereo!
http://ringheimsauto.org