Re: [LAU] MIDI active sensing- USB midi and EvoMK461

From: Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 18:23:44 EEST

Simon Williams wrote:
> I have just received the usb midi adapter I bought on ebay. I plugged it
> in and it was recognized immediately- it shows up in lsusb as:
> Bus 002 Device 014: ID 4348:552d
>
> Anyway- if I plug it into my ordinary keyboard or the midi out on my
> Evolution MK461 then it's very slow

You mean, it has high latency? How high?

> and frequently stops and/or plays the wrong notes- theres usually note
> 0 (very low) attached to any note I get from it.

Apparently, this adapter doesn't use the USB MIDI protocol correctly.

Please show a dump that you get from amidi (aseqdump has already
tried to interpret the MIDI byte stream and filtered out anything
it thinks is incorrect).

> Sending it to aseqdump gives lots of "Active sensing" messages.

There's nothing wrong with that. Many USB MIDI interfaces filter out
Active Sensing messages, but that makes it impossible to detect if the
MIDI cable has become unplugged.

> My first instinct was that USB1 is too slow and it needs USB2,

The theoretical maximum amount of data that could be sent over a MIDI
cable is 3125 bytes per second.

Regards,
Clemens