Re: [LAU] Record at 44.1 or at 48 kHz?

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 11:00:31 EEST

Victor Roetman wrote:

> The question I have is whether I should be recording 24 bit audio at
> 44.1 kHz or at 48 kHz if the end result will be Compact Disk audio.

I'm not an expert on this, but:
CD audio is 44.1kHz/16bit
If you record at anything else, you will have to downsample.

> It
> seems that some pro-audio equipment tends to prefer 48 kHz, and many
> people do their recording at 48 kHz. The heart of the question is this:
> Will the slight slight increase in quality of recording and mixing at 48
> kHz outweigh the slight reduction in quality from re-sampling 48 kHz to
> 44.1 kHz?
>
> How about if the project was also using loops recorded at 44.1 kHz? If
> the Ardour project is at 48 kHz, the loops would need to be up-sampled,
> and then the whole thing down-sampled again to 44.1 on export. Would
> that up-down sampling offset any benefit of using 48 kHz in the first place?

Probably, at a guess. You really want to organise things so you only
have to downsample once, as the final stage of mastering as I understand
it. This process is analogous to resizing a bitmap, you want to do all
the composition work at the highest resolution and try to avoid
resampling as much as possible.

cheers,

tim
/|\