Re: [LAU] Something like "midicontroller" GUI for OSC?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 00:10:06 EEST

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 11:11:30AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 20. September 2007 schrieb Ken Restivo:
> > My M-Audio Axiom 49 just died. And I have four live shows scheduled next
> > week (Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday). I don't have time to get it
> > repaired, and I can't afford to replace it.
>
> Too bad. Maybe you can rent one from a local music-shop?

When I'm losing money, I usually fold. This time I tried something different: I "doubled down".

I bought a Novation Remote 61 SL. Under *warranty*.

It rules.

The UI on this thing is AMAZING. It's got two 2x256 character LCD displays. It's *verbose*, designed for people who understand and remember words better than numbers. Very clear. I counted a total of 78 fully-assignable buttons/knobs/sliders/rotaries/pedals.

It also seems *much* better made than any of M-Audio's cheap plastic crap. The keyboard action feels like a 1980's-era Roland or Yamaha synth.

> > To get me through these shows, I can borrow a MIDI keyboard, with just keys
> > and no buttons/knobs/sliders, which means I'm going to have to build a GUI
> > myself to use on the laptop or touchscreen for controlling parameters.
> > PD is a natural for this, but I like GTK widgets better. And the PD sliders
> > might not be big enough for touchscreen use.
>
> The pd-sliders are not fixed in their size. Just open the properties and make
> them bigger (first two entries on the top if I remember correctly).

Thanks. I also discovered GriPD too.

But now that I have the Novation, I'm going to concentrate on getting that running.

> > Is there anything like this "midicontroller" app that uses OSC instead?
>
> I think I will have some kind of OSC message sending app in ofqf[1] for the
> next release...
>
> Arnold
>
> [1] http://www.arnoldarts.de/drupal/?q=ofqf

Nice, thanks!

Also, I'm finding the stuff that Lars is working on with dbus, to be intriguing too.

My fantasy now is a keyboard controller that has a control surface and keyboard much like the Novation, but has an 10/100/1000 Ethernet, WiFi, or BlueTooth interface instead of MIDI or USB, and communicates using dbus and/or OSC natively. The advantage is that you wouldn't need weird SysEx hacks or proprietary software in order to make use of the "automap template" feature that the Novation does. A keyboard like that could run off of a Gumstix running linux, so it most definitely will get developed by someone, someday.

Actually, now that I think of it, instead of knobs/buttons/sliders, a 640x480 touchscreen might be a better bet, and multitouch once the price of those comes down.

- -ken