Re: [LAU] another song with corin

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 14:00:29 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Frank Pirrone wrote:

>> Where her voice naturally falls within the first two tunes, her quick
>> and quavery vibrato and flattish phrasing keep "Fever" from becoming
>> an equally strong vehicle for her talents. She's "crooning" it more
>> than singing it.
>
> Yes, that's it exactly. As I wrote previously, she has done it better
> live, she can connect with her audience pretty well by now.
>
>> I'd have her syncopate it more. Slow down the vibrato, or drop it at
>> points altogether. That's common enough for jazz singers. Sing with
>> a little more edge, and from the throat. Have her close her eyes and
>> both visualize the story of the lyrics and the expressive process of
>> voicing it. Have her practice some bluesy growl and timing, even to
>> the extent of visualizing herself as a tube of vocal music, squeezing
>> it out perfectly with pressure from the diaphragm. If you sing, show
>> her. She'll quickly get the point and emulate the difference.
>
> These are great suggestions, Frank, thank you, and I will use them. I
> haven't really approached the use of vocal effects (I'm still trying to
> master Blind Wilie Johnson's growls myself).
>
> She has trouble with the vibrato. I think perhaps her classical teacher
> has failed her there, she didn't realize she had it until I pointed it
> out. Sometimes it's mitigated by her comfort level, I've noticed that in
> performance her first songs have more vibrato than the later selections.
> She's getting more comfortable with the recording process though, and
> hopefuly she'll learn how to "iron out" the vibrato and to apply it with
> more control over where & when.

If she's still a teenager she has time to develop her vibrato. Any
female singer who avoids sounding like Mariah Carey et al. will get my
approval. You have to /feel/ vibrato - My favourite vibratos are Bob
Marley and Elizabeth Frazer (Cocteau Twins). It is a technique for
extending power and note duration without going badly out of tune, so
part of it is ear-training, to know when your intonation is slipping and
introduce an appropriate amount according to the feeling of the song.

As I said in my previous post. I like the unaffected style of the
performance. If she is singing slightly flat, it may be that she simply
needs a bit of a confidence boost. Pitching is 90% confidence in my
experience. There is also a greater acceptable pitch margin for lead
vocals if no-one has to harmonise with them. Some of my favourite
singers are actually quite slack in this department.

cheers,

tim
/|\