Re: [LAU] SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P] Line-In

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 06 2007 - 02:33:49 EET

M P Smoak wrote:
> Hi Dave and all,
>
> "serious audio production" ? I think we might benefit by expanding
> our view of what's serious audio and what's not. My current system, old
> but stable, has a SBlive and runs Planet CCRMA RH9. My soon to be main
> system has a SB Audigy. My understanding is that the Linux driver (that
> I think Lee R wrote) is very good and I hope complete. It's working now
> with Planet CCRMA fc7, although I've not yet tested it throughly yet.
>
> What I see as a problem is the lack of documentation on the mixers and
> indeed mixers for it. Many mixers listed at the linuxaudio site are
> dead links; qamix that I used with rh9 isn't available; I haven't found
> any mixer that has good documentation on how to use it.
>
> I'm a user of audio and I real serious about playing and recording but
> I'm not, and don't want be, an audio pro. I use audio in my consulting
> work, mainly recording telephone meetings with clients. I also use it
> as a musician. Linux is a tool, as is the soundcard.
>
> Please, let's expand the definition of "serious audio" to folks that use
> "consumer hardware". Seriously :>)
>
> I've not had much problem with the connectors.

Hi Marv,

I don't believe I associated my use of the term with anyone's particular
workspace, nor do I mean to suggest that "serious audio production ==
audio professional". Even "audio professional" is subject to broader
definition, i.e. it doesn't necessarily refer to someone working in a
commercial recording studio.

I'll modify my original statement: Sure, you can be serious about audio
production with an SBLive, but you'll probably get better -sounding
audio from a Delta or RME device. The difference was certainly notable
here in my own studio.

Jam on.

Best,

dp