Re: [LAU] MIDI keyboard compatability

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 07 2007 - 11:34:34 EET

Am Mittwoch, 7. November 2007 schrieb david:
> Edgar Aichinger wrote:

> >> When ALSA isn't fighting over which sound card to load in which order on
> >> my system, the E-MU Xmidi1x1 works just fine. It only needs the
> >> snd-usb-audio driver on my system.
> >>
> >> But that's just the USB<>MIDI interface, can't give advice about
> >> professional keyboards.
> >>

> > I had also had problems with the loading order of soundcards. Everything
> > was fine when I hotplugged or switched on my usb midi devices, but when I
> > had them on during boot the soundcard order got scrambled.
>
> Doesn't make any difference on mine! My only USB audio device is bus
> powered.
>
> > Now (in openSUSE
> > 10.3), I explicitely configured ALSA via YaST to load snd-usb-audio twice,
> > resulting in this config file (/etc/modprobe.d/sound):
> >
> > options snd-emu10k1 enable=1 index=0
> > options snd-ice1712 enable=1 index=1
> > options snd-usb-audio enable=1,1 index=2,3
> >
> > # WL76.vIcU+IM+7DC:SB Audigy2 ZS
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> > # bSAa.PVFZbfE_QN2:M-Audio Delta 1010LT
> > alias snd-card-1 snd-ice1712
> > # uniq.unknown_key:USB Audio
> > alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
> > # uniq.unknownkey0:USB Audio
> > alias snd-card-3 snd-usb-audio
>
> I tried something along those lines, was only successful in killing two
> USB devices, including the USB<>MIDI adapter.
>
> > Note that the comments are YaST specific identifiers and not needed for other
> > distros.
>
> Thanks. Why twice?

I don't know, honestly. Because that way it worked. I have a MidiSport 2x2,
and an Axiom USB/MIDI controller keyboard. The MidSport needs it's firmware
loaded, which udev does during boot. Either this, or the undefined loading
order (partly udev, partly alsasound, init running it's scripts in parallel)
leads to mess when I don't specify it twice. If someone knows better, please
explain...

Edgar