Re: [LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

From: Mark Constable <markc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 09:59:55 EET

On 2007-11-14 17:51, James Stone wrote:
> Does anyone remember that "ResRocket" site from back in the late
> 90s?

Yes! It was potentially brilliant but was closed source and
only for windows users. A classic case of if it had been an
open source project it would been huge today. Fools.

> It was a really nice program, and I have been dreaming of an open
> source implementation of something similar. If it had audio
> capabilities as well as midi, that would be even better (and
> perhaps feasible in these days of broadband)... although sound
> compression to ogg stream would be required I should imagine.

Speaking of MIDI (I know I know, it's a dirty 4 letter word)...
anything to do with MIDI would be ideal for collaborative
subversion management because the file size is so reasonable.

Perhaps a judicious compromise between using MIDI, where
feasible, and vorbis test tracks (again, where feasible) and
only relying on flac'd wav tracks towards the end of the
pieces lifetime when it comes time for mastering.

I suspect the uploaded wav format should be 16bit/44.1khtz
because of bandwidth concerns.

--markc