Re: [LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

From: Mark Constable <markc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 12:33:11 EET

On 2007-11-14 19:49, Mark Constable wrote:
> FWIW I have set up a bare Subversion repo that anyone
> is welcome to use -> http://markconstable.com/jam/

It might be useful to post a simple howto here...

* anyone can anonymously "checkout" the latest project(s)

   cd /some/where
   svn co http://markconstable.com/jam

   # then for future updates it's a simple
   cd /some/where
   svn up

   # or, for less data transfer (no hidden .svn dirs) but
   # then "svn up" does not work, but is good for tar/zipping
   svn export http://markconstable.com/jam

* anyone who sends me an email address and password can
  have commit (upload) privileges, email markc@email-addr-hidden

   cd /some/where
   svn co http://your%40email.address:your_password@email-addr-hidden/jam

   cd /some/where
   mkdir myproject
   cp -a /current/audio/files/* myproject
   svn add myproject # recursively adds everything in folder
   svn commit # brings up editor for commit notes
   svn update # updates local view of central repo

* for now, anything goes, just upload stuff and see what
  happens, it will become obvious what does, or not, work

* anyone can zip/tarball/torrent any checked out project
  and host it anywhere else they care to

* I will endeavour to put together a forum asap so that
  commit log/diffs can go into their own topic and thus
  have an RSS feed (most important way to stay uptodate)

* I am enthused about collab possibilities based on SVN
  (or any SCM system) and recently set up a site to host
  custom Archlinux packages at...

   http://code.google.com/p/proaudio/

  but there is 100Mb limit which is no where near enough
  space for audio. The intergrated wiki and google groups
  makes the above an easy no-brainer for collaboration

* If Git was the SCM backend then everyone involved would
  have a "master copy" ... Git is truly distributed but,
  for now, SVN is readily available with plenty of support

* the only requirement is that all material uploaded must
  be under either GPL or a very liberal OSS license

Re licensing, I can suggest this as a potential license...

 YOUR_PROJECT - a brief description of your project.
 Copyright (C) 2007 YOUR_ID_EMAIL

 This project is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 as published by the Free Software Foundation.

 This project is distributed in the hope that it will be
 useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
 warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

 As a special exception, if you create a composition which
 uses parts or all of this project, and mix this project or
 unaltered portions of this project into a composition, then
 reuse of this project does not by itself cause the resulting
 composition to be covered by the GNU General Public License.
 This exception does not however invalidate any other reasons
 why the document might be covered by the GNU General Public
 License. If you modify this project, you may extend this
 exception to your version of this project, but you are not
 obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so, delete this
 exception statement from your version.

 You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
 License along with this program; if not, write to the
 Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.

--markc