Re: [LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 16:43:16 EET

Am Mittwoch, 14. November 2007 schrieb Kevin Cosgrove:

> On 13 November 2007 at 22:21, "Alexandros Vichos" <alexandros.vichos@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > Some time ago, I thought that it would be very interesting for
> > musicians to be able to develop a piece of music online. The main idea
> > was a subversion tree clone for musicians, just like it's used in the
> > coders community. That way, someone can present an idea, and let
> > others too work on it. If another user has a different "view" on the
> > original idea, there can also be a "fork" and so and so. Once the
> > project is complete, there may be more than one versions of the
> > original piece.
>
> I like the concept. Somehow the system would need to be able to do
> the likely binary file diff's ??? What formats would be used for
> the data? MIDI? Audio? Compressed audio?
>
> > I don't know if someone has implemented this idea, neither have I
> > searched online for something similar, but this post reminded me of
> > it, and i thought it would be nice to share it with all you Linux
> > Audio guys!
> > -Alexandros
>
> I wish I could remember the name of the binary file diff &
> reconstruction program I saw years ago. It was open source, but
> I just can't remember the name.

You mean bdiff? http://www.webalice.it/g_pochini/bdiff/

BTW, I play all kinds of (mostly acoustic) plucked instruments in different
tunings, on amateur level, from baroque mandolin to (renaissance and baroque)
lute to several guitars, I even have a piano and a spinet in my living room
(can't play them well, but my girlfriend is piano teacher), I even play a bit
recorder and sing sometimes, and I have a nice home studio with some external
MIDI synths (KORG Wavestation, Roland GR-33, Roland SH-09 and SPV-355 analog
synths via doepfer MCV4 MIDI-to-CV converter, a Yamaha FB-01 4-op F/M synth,
and this crazy old E-mu SP12 drum sampler/sequencer.

I'd be glad to take part if a tune matches my not-so-narrow musical taste and if
my sparetime permits...