Re: [LAU] A virtual LAU chillout band - is this clearer?

From: Frank Pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 15 2007 - 02:52:00 EET

Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi!
> I rather thought it would be like Frank Pirrone said. But one other thing to
> make it easier:
> Why having to choose in the end. Upload all made tracks (if there aren't too
> many), if there are, perhaps distribute them over more than one site. Then
> everyone taking part in the project and wishing to mix something does it. Then
> they can distribute their mixes on their own site's or on the main site if
> they don't have one of their own. If they have their own site, send in the
> link to the final piece and there we go.
> Thoughts?
> Kindest regards
> Julien

That's fine Julien. I think I allowed for that and asserted it as a
consequence of the process, calling it a natural fork.

If you like the collection as it stands any point in time, just enjoy
it, fork it, you and your girlfriend enjoy it, fork your girlfriend,
package it and mix it and continue to develop it and post it and sell it
and you're your own boss.

If you want a higher quality piece at any point when you're ready to
take the ball and go home, just ask folks who contributed the tracks you
like, or as you suggest all tracks, to post them in the high quality
format if necessary, or leave them as lossy-compressed as originally
uploaded.

What I attempted to inject into the process was what actually happens in
real bands. There are workups, takes, explorations, evolution -
sometimes punctuated and sometimes cataclysmic, and at some point either
a small voice from the group or a spontaneous consensus will arise
saying, "That's IT!!!"

Here, it there is to be an endpoint, and indeed the piece can go on
beyond that as anyone interested has its component tracks, and if the -
let's say - 10 tracks are simply bitching, the tune will deserve to be
rendered in full fidelity and properly mixed and mastered. Then, if it
is worthy, and ask me how surprised I'd be if it was, who knows what
good things it might do.

Maybe I should have named all this for what it really is to make at
least what's swirling around in my head clear to everyone - and, no not
that SecondBand (though I wasn't kidding about that being a kick-ass
idea) or that MusicMash (again, not kidding - hosting/posting the pieces
of CC music for folks to mash up, contribute to, package, share with
friends, flag for listening, or even profit from is another kick-ass
concept - I mean it would be like YouTube where the atomic elements of
the videos were available for anyone to mash, alter, grow, whatever),
but rather a:

Musical Wiki

Uhhh, I guess that would be a Muki (mucky, hmmm...) or a Wikic...

Seriously, this is all just like a Wiki for music. Someone posts a
topic or a skeleton of an explication of a topic, another "expert" comes
along and adds something or makes edits, the page grows - sometimes in
ways never envisioned by the originator, until a point of at least
homeostasis is reached. This would be where the growth phase naturally
ends and either that's it or minor ebbs and flows continue in a dynamic
balance.

Musical Wiki.

Frank - sorry for verbosity, my playing is more spare and tasteful,
unless I'm uhhh...