Re: [LAU] LAU collaboration coordination?

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 16 2007 - 20:57:35 EET

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:08:43 -0500
Frank Pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Mark Constable wrote:

> > Storage is not an issue but bandwidth always is.
> >

> >> This is absolutely NOT the way to construct a song through on-line
> >> collaboration. See my postings for an alternative detailed proposal.
> >> They generated little comment, so I assume little interest, but this
> >> magnitude of traffic and bandwidth is both whacked and needless.
> >>

> > I totally agree. There are at least 3 levels of involvement,
> >
> > a) anything light and simple to initially define a song, proof
> > of concept songs only have to be MIDI tracks, using say the
> > fluidr2 soundfont, along with live medium-fi vorbis tracks
> >
> > anyone gets to play on this level, even via 56k dialup from
> > Nigeria (ooh, bad example)
> >
> > b) a semi-pro final mix using flac'd 16bit/44.1khtz audio
> > tracks and as many MIDI tracks that can be rendered to 16/44
> > locally (without requiring any transfer of large wavs)
> >
> > a bit of a compromise but I'm sure the end result could be
> > quite satisfactory, and so so much Better Than Nothing
> >
> > c) if a song, or piece, passes both the previous levels and is
> > deemed worthy of super-pro mastering then those intimately
> > involved with the piece can make their own arrangments to
> > deal with transferring 32bit/96khtz master tracks to wherever
> > is going to do the final mix(s) and perhaps use archive.org
> > to hold the complete final master mix components
> >
> > I'd be impressed if I ever see a LAU based a) let alone a b).
> >
> > A c) by the end of the decade would be too cool.
> >
> > And just as a note, I am personally interested in GPL-like
> > songs where the components that went into making the song are
> > also available somewhere, hence the idea of using Subversion
> > to deal with some, or even all, parts of a song and indeed it's
> > entire life cycle of evolvement can be logged and this creative
> > outline or path is ALSO of great interest to me. A bunch of
> > guys using collab in "secret" and suddenly releasing a final
> > mastered ogg to listen to is of little interest to me. How a
> > song is created with access to the digital parts that make it
> > up is what I find the most exciting part of this discussion.
> >
> > Oh, and actually listening to something, as well, would be
> > kinda cool too :-)
> >
> > --markc
> >
> Marc and the Band!
>
> I think we're generally on the same track, but I feel even the MIDI base
> of composition is a needless complication. A low-resolution OGG
> aligning and registering with the base track would be both uploadable
> and downloadable by that postulated Nigerian.
>
> Again, my suggestion entails:
>
> * simple FTP access to a modest server
> * everything is rendered as OGG and synchronizes automatically
> * only downloads are new tracks, and only if desired
> * only uploads are contributors new tracks
> * even mixing and mastering can be done on the compressed files
> * high-res files are only required for final rendering
>

> Storage capacity can be as low as 100 megabytes or so for twenty 5MB
> [...]

I've been keeping out of this up to now, as I've been very unsure
exactly what people are proposing, and the complexity involved. However
this last suggestions looks like something I would be able to work with
(always assuming I can find some spare time!)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk