Re: [LAU] LAU collaboration coordination?

From: Frank Pirrone <frankpirrone@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 17 2007 - 02:28:09 EET

Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hi Frank!
> I still have a little problem with the "loosing" "winning" idea. Ok: we
> might say we get a simple choice on track most wanted and definitely up them
> to the main server. But what about using simple .html file with listings and
> enable others to include "loosing" tracks into the lists. So everyone can VERY
> easily download EVERYTHING and do what they want. Because: It might just be,
> that someone has a great idea with a "loosing" track, that is an absolute
> killer-mix/master. Besides that, I still agree. Simple enough and generally
> effective enough. But with the.html solution, we could more easily split up
> the project-data, if it get's to big or to much bandwidth consuming. I think
> there are a lot of us with enough storage, but lacking the bandwidth.
> About timestamps: Why not take seconds or samples (in 44.1kHz). I know
> ecasound is able to go by samples (which is maximum accuracy. What about the
> other apps: ardour, audacity, etc...?
> Finally about MIDI: Why not have a midi-basetrack. Produced the most easily,
> easily aligned to perfect notes. And I assume everyone has a midi-sequencer
> and something to export midi. It's posibble with timidity, ecasound(using
> timidity), probably fluidsynth... It's small, simple, clean, you can read
> notes from it if necessary, it's standard and everyone has it.
> Kindest regards
> Julien
>
> --------
> Music was my first love and it will be my last (John Miles)

Good points Julien.

No, I wouldn't want anything to be deleted or dropped. It's only when
we're ready to mix/master that we'd use the "winning" tracks. I used
those terms - winning and losing just to make my suggestion clear.
Personally, I'd hate to think of anything anyone did as losing in any
way, even if someone else did something way better.

It may also turn out that a track that doesn't quite burn in one tune
starts something new in a different direction. One thing that should
come from this collaboration is the stimulation of ideas and
cross-pollination of a high order.

For me, as a performer, the most sublime and even inexplicable
experience is "finding" myself someplace I don't recognize! I didn't
head there, never been there before, don't know how I got there...but am
really digging it. This almost mystical bond and communication between
musicians is...well, I was going to compare it with sex but that might
have suggested some mutual-exclusivity and an inapplicable zero-sum nature!

Seriously, when someone in a conversation says something that prompts a
thought or a response, that's an intellectual delight...so what is it
when your bandmate's riff pulls something out of you in response that
you never knew was there? Actually, it probably never was there until
just that moment - that inspirational, catalytic moment.

Sorry for the tangent...now, back to the show:

I haven't used ecasound in quite a while, and don't know it well enough
to tell if it could handle importing and playing all the tracks as they
start showing up on the server. I also don't know about alignment
capabilities.

I'm also not sure about using MIDI as the base track - I like your use
of "basetrack" better.
It still seems to me that exporting everything as a low-res OGG file
keeps things dog-simple and pretty fool-proof.

Frank

p.s. Hey, let us know any limitations of your reader or what problems
you'd have with certain software. I'm sure there's a work-around for
everything. Anyone looked at the source for Audacity or other GUI app
to see if its core functionality could be accessed from the CLI?