Re: [LAU] how to edit MIDI by applying selection rules?

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 19 2007 - 13:52:46 EET

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 02:18:23AM -0500, Hector Centeno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some days ago I was working on a MIDI project that required selecting a
> large group of notes and transposing them. The notes to be selected were
> short notes alternating with long ones. Using Rosegarden the only way of
> doing it was to shift-click (in piano roll) on the short notes which
> became impossible since sometimes clicking on the short note would also
> select the long one next to it. Also if I made a mistake I had to start
> over again since in Rosegarden (ver. 1.5.1 at least) you can't unselect a
> note from a group of already selected notes. Even if it was possible to
> shift-click on each note without problems it would require a lot of time.
> So, my question is: are there any open source MIDI editing tools that
> would allow me to do something like this quickly? This kind of tasks are
> easy to accomplish in other proprietary softwares using filtered selection
> by creating your own set of selection rules and applying it to a MIDI
> region or track (like: select all notes between such and such duration).
> Is there anything like this for Linux? Any command line MIDI editing tools
> already around? In other cases it would be nice to edit groups of notes
> selected by pitch or velocity.

hi,

depending on what type of selection you need, midish may be useful;
it can select notes based on channel, note number and/or velocity.
For instance, the following commands will transpose measures 0-16
of track "trk05" by -12 halftones, but will leave as is notes not
in the 0-64 range

$ rmidish
send EOF character (control-D) to quit
1> songimportsmf "sample.mid"
2> tracktransp trk05 0 16 (-12) 0 { note {} {0 64} }
3> songexportsmf "sample2.mid"
4>

possible selections for editing functions are briefly described in
the manual, here:

        http://caoua.org/midish/manual.html#ev

cheers,

-- Alexandre