Re: [LAU] mastering - do I need it?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 23 2007 - 17:04:46 EET

On Nov 23, 2007 5:09 AM, Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I almost finished a cd of electronic music with my linux laptop. Now I'm
> thinking about making an actual cd of it. Now I'm wondering if I need to
> pay for mastering...
>
> I think the recording sounds quite good by itself, but I have a vague
> idea of mastering doing something magical to my audio. Can anything
> general be said about the need for mastering of electronic music?
>
> Also, can I do a good enough job with jamin? Are there any tutorials
> that I should read? What will I be aiming for in the process,
> considering I think it sounds fine already?
>
> Any input appreciated!
>
> --
> peace, love & harmony
> Atte

Hi Atte,
   OK, no question about it. All CDs will benefit from some degree of
mastering. If nothing else a good mastering engineer will give the
songs as a group a more consistent volume, presence, feel, if
appropriate.

   In my opinion you can certainly do a credible job of mastering with
Jamin IF you understand from the outset what you are trying to
accomplish. Masting is not mixing. It's a process of building the CD
in such a way that the songs sound good flowing from one to another.
You know your music better than anyone else so you have an advantage
there. However another set of really fresh ears can add some big
value.

   Consider getting a copy of 'Mastering Audio - the art and the
science" by Bob Katz. Great book on this subject.

   If you do decide to pay for mastering you might consider the following:

1) Try to talk with a couple of mastering houses to see what their
approach is when doing mastering for a new artist. Finding a guy you
can work with will pay off in the long run.

2) At a minimum try to get a deal you can afford to get at least a few
(2-3 minimum) songs mastered. Hearing more than one song helps you
understand the engineer's work a lot better.

2) One thing Bob Katz recommends is to send 'stubs' - I'm sure you mix
your sings with mix group - drums, horns, bass, keyboards, vocals,
etc. However you do it. Instead of sending a final stereo mix of the
song see about sending 4-8 stubs with these different groups. This
allows the mastering engineer to do his work on the groups
individually before mixing them together and will generally produce
better results when in competent hands. If you go this way make sure
you get the mastered stubs as well as the final combined version back
as part of the deal. It will take some negotiation to get this service
at the right price but if you search around and get lucky you might
find someone you will really like working with in the long run.

   Anyway, I hope the ideas are of interest.

Cheers,
Mark