Re: [LAU] Hardware synths

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 01 2007 - 18:13:12 EET

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:21:42 -0500
Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Saturday 01 December 2007 03:08, David Griffith wrote:
> > Another thing that hardware synths have over software is the user
> > interface. You just can't get the kind of flexibility that you
> > have when you reach out and grab cables and frob knobs.
>
> Well, there are controllers out there with a lot of knobs and sliders.
> I have one myself. But I haven't had time to get my sliders working
> with Bristol as drawbars, for example, or to get my knobs working
> with Zyn, and that's something I do see as a drawback.... but the
> lack of controller standardization is really the fault of the
> hardware makers, not the Linux synth authors.
>
> I've played and owned a lot of hardware synths over the years, but
> ever since I realized 10 years ago that I could get a recording of a
> software synth with no analog hiss, I haven't played hardware synths
> at all. Once I got my little Edirol controller, I put them all in
> storage and will probably sell them someday if they still work,
> though someone just gave me a CZ-101 and I may give in to nostalgia
> for a while first. I was tempted by that Korg vocoder one that came
> out a couple years ago, but.... no SPDIF, no deal.
>
> Maybe someday it'd be possible through the existence of LASH to create
> a standard control set (I assume LASH sessions include things like
> MIDI control mapping) and write "drivers" for all our controllers to
> map the physical controls to that control set. But I probably
> wouldn't be able to contribute much to that aside from a
> few "drivers", because LASH is magic to me.
>
> Rob

I think you're also talking apples & oranges. I have two hardware
synths, which I mix with ZynAddSubFX. I've not used Csound, it's too
complicated for me :(

I would also think it depends on whether you are in a studio making a
recording or on a live gig. A hardware synth might be more convenient
played live (dunno, don't do live work myself) and would probably
impress the punters more than a tiny laptop. But I would think in a
studio setting a softsynth would win on performance every time.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk