Re: [LAU] Hardware synths

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 05 2007 - 10:14:04 EET

On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Ken Restivo wrote:
[...]
> > And for what it's worth, you can get micro-ATX boards that take
> > Celerons and Athlons. I'd stay away from that Via stuff myself if
> > I were doing anything other than a web surfing terminal.
> >

> I'd guess that anything capable of DVD and MP4 video recording and
> playback would be plenty good for Linux Audio. In other words, if it
> can run MythTV, why couldn't it run 64studio instead?

Those boards usually have rather serious special hardware particularly
for that purpose, specifically because the CPUs aren't fast enough.
The 1.5+ GHz versions still have that, though they *might* actually
get away without it in theory; don't know... I have one of those
here, but I haven't tried to do any serious DSP or anything on it.
(It's the "integrated dashboard computer" for my sports/race car -
not a multimedia machine. :-)

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |