Re: [LAU] good and cheap keyboard usb for linux

From: Simon Williams <simon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 05 2007 - 21:00:06 EET

Ken Restivo wrote:
> One night at a gig, I had brain fart and forgot to bring my second
> MIDI controller. I borrowed a cheap Yamaha all-in-one keyboard at
> home-- the kind of toy you'd expect to buy at Radio Shack-- and it
> worked great and got me through the show. Had velocity and sustain
> pedal and everything. Anything with a MIDI out port will work-- you
> can probably find stuff at garage sales if you're really going
> low-end.

I'm still pretty new to the whole music game and I'm interested to get
ideas for things I can do. Firstly, what do you use at a gig software
wise and what sort of things are you playing. Secondly, what do you use
2 keyboards for?

> If you want USB, the M-Audio keyboards are, in my experience, utter
> crap. However, they seem to be the cheapest things out there. I
> bought a used Axiom and it died after a couple months of use.
> Garbage.

That's interesting. I was thinking of maybe trying to get one of those
later. They looked really nice. I've currently got an Evolution MK461C,
which I think is also M-Audio, but that works great. I haven't heard of
anything else though- any recommendations?

Thanks
Simon