Re: [LAU] Multitracking a band live at a gig

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 07 2007 - 08:45:08 EET

drew Roberts wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 14:07:22 david wrote:
>> drew Roberts wrote:

>>> Right, no, I am interested in doing it using Free software and whatever
>>> hardware is needed.
>> Audacity for Windows is free GPL software, just like the Linux version,
>
> Sure, and I recommend it to and install it for friends still on windows, but
> windows is not Free.

Never said it was. Although I bet a lot of people think it is - they can
hardly buy a PC without it! ;-)

>> The hardware definitely is not free, but I believe there are folk on the
>> list who use the same hardware with Linux. ;-)
>
> I am looking into firewire cards as one option.

I think folk on the list mention firewire for situations where they
needed to transfer a lot of data realtime.

> So, is anyone splitting their mic and instrument cables and feeding one to
> house and one to recorder?

Ours goes through the ADC box, the data stream goes to the computer, the
box just passes the untouched audio signal through to our soundboard.

> What is the highest number of tracks anyone regularly records at live gigs?

We do 16, separate tracks for every instrument and voice. We have no
drummer, so the drum machine has its own track.

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden