Re: [LAU] Payment In Kind Experiment

From: plutek-infinity <plutek@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 12 2007 - 17:13:16 EET

>From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
>
>Payment In Kind Experiment or Funding Musical Free Software Development
>
>Was: Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your
>oppinion
>
>New ideas at the bottom, quote for context.
>
>On Wednesday 12 December 2007 06:49:08 Pieter Palmers wrote:
>> Chris Cannam wrote:

>> > Groove quantization is one of the oldest outstanding feature requests in
>> > the Rosegarden tracker, submitted by me in 2002:
>> >
>> > http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=633259&group_id=
>> >4932&atid=354932
>> >
>> > Unfortunately, as for so many features, this has simply never percolated
>> > to the top of my priority queue, or stack, or whatever my brain uses, and
>> > nobody else has ever shown much interest in coding it. And sadly I only
>> > have eight hands and three heads and there are only 132 hours in the day.
>>
>> IMHO this remark gets to the heart of the problem. As a human being we
>> have limited resources. I personally have to settle with one head, 2
>> fingers and 24hrs in a day. The fact that humans also have to eat, and
>> that food is seldom available 'for free' makes that some part of our
>> resources are allocated to surviving. Oh, and having 'a life' also
>> consumes an astonishing amount of these resources.
>>
>> There is no way around the fact that one has to eat, and that that
>> doesn't go well with writing free software in the 'free beer'
>> interpretation. Which seems to be the main reason why people turn to
>> Linux. I've done a quick check on the cheapest offer from Cakewalk
>> (Project 5) that might have all functionality that came up in this
>> thread, and it is 100euro here. If all Rosegarden users were to pay
>> Chris 100euro, I think Rosegarden would have more features than 'Project
>> 5', or maybe even Sonar.
>>
>> The catch 22 seems to be that we currently attract a lot of 'free beer'
>> attention. But in order to get really professional software, you need
>> time, and time = money. So in order for the programs to become more
>> professional, we need people that are willing to pay for them. Which we
>> don't seem to have.
>>
>> You could think of it this way: suppose you have a Linux tool that has
>> 20% of the functionality of an the equivalent Win/Mac tool, you could
>> argue that it's worth 20% of the money. Now add all tools you use on
>> Linux and try to estimate this '20%' value of your software collection.
>> IMHO that's what you would have to be prepared to pay. Of course I know
>> that this is a rude extrapolation, and that 20% of the functionality
>> usually doesn't get you anywhere. But to be honest, I think most of the
>> tools are more near 80% of the 'competing software's functionality.
>>
>> To give you another idea, from my personal pet project (FFADO):
>> we are registered on the ohloh site
>> (http://www.ohloh.net/projects/8040?p=FFADO), and one of the things they
> [...]

a very interesting idea, drew. indeed, it is probably necessary to leverage resources outside of the software users, since our user base is so small. a key question, to my mind, is how to make something like this look desirable for folks at large -- the simple fact that it has been made using free software doesn't in any way make it music that anyone might be interested in purchasing.

another thought which i've been entertaining is to direct a certain percentage of any personal profits made using free software back to the software authours. it seems to me only reasonable that, if i am making money with these tools, some of that money is a result of the work of the respective coders. it's difficult to come up with any sort of rigourous algorithm to assess how much each application contributed to the final profits, but i think it's time (for me, personally) to implement some fuzzy instance of that principle, anyway. unfortunately, as alluded to above, even if we ALL did that, the user base is probably not large enough to fully support the coders.

best.

--
.pltk.