Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: Lars Luthman <lars.luthman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 16:40:39 EET

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 07:28 -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2007 04:53:20 Pieter Palmers wrote:
> > I think they have a large 'value' and could be able to be
> > self-supportive. The question is "why aren't they?".
>
> Further questions in that vein:
>
> Do they want to be?

My guess is that most don't. I don't. I know that my software isn't in
any way as significant as the likes of Ardour and Rosegarden so I may
not be very representative, but on the other hand there are lots of
other people writing free audio software who have never done anything on
that scale and probably never will either. I see it as a hobby. If I had
to do it full time I would probably get bored rather quickly.

Also, the "free" as in "no money needed" is a big reason for me to use
free software, though not the only one. I don't pay for using free
software, and I don't expect anyone to pay me for using mine.

--ll