Re: [LAU] Piping to mplayer grief

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 20:26:45 EET

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:26:09AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>, on Tue Nov 27, 2007 [02:17:52 PM] said:
> > The developer of the shell-fm software just gave me a clue as to why it is so painful to try to play anything through stdin with mplayer: apparently mplayer does aggressive caching and won't start playing until it gets some large amount of input first.
> >
> > shell-fm has an "extern" function that'll fork off a process to play through an external player, but it won't work because mplayer is expecting to grab quite a bit of the stream.
> >
> > -ken
>
> Hi;
>
> mplayer has an option to turn off caching. (-nocache) Not sure
> if that will help you. (sometimes it seems like mplayer has an option
> for everything...)

Thanks! Alas, though, it doesn't help.

-ken
--------------
Now playing "Weather Storm" by Craig Armstrong.
MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.3-DFSG-free (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7600 @ 2.33GHz (Family: 6, Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing -.
Reading from stdin...
Cannot seek backward in linear streams!
Seek failed