[LAU] Community Awards

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 07:00:18 EET

Hi,

It has been a wish of mine and several others for some time that we have
an awards ceremony on a regular basis to acknowledge the hard work of
the various contributors to Linux Audio Community. It makes sense to me
that it be held at the Annual Linux Audio Conference.

In my opinion the Consortium should take a central role in managing the
awards process but it will be very nice if the whole community could
contribute with votes or resources to help make it go as smoothly as
possible.

In essence we would need to decide on the type of awards that would be
provided. Cash, plaques, trophies, merchandise, sponsorship, devices
etc...

I'm sure that with a little effort by certain members of the consortium
we would be able to get some sponsorship from some Audio companies who
would like the prestige of associating their Company names with the
ceremony and there are also several companies that should feel a certain
level of obligation to contribute as they are actively making money from
Linux Audio. Several sound cards manufacturers spring to mind and a few
other hardware companies too.

It would also be nice if we could have a global fund setup to collect
contributions from the public which can be used to cover basic costs
such as printing or purchasing trophies, plaques, etc...

There are enough of us who have run events that we should be able to
find the resources to make our own awards ceremony a reality.

I'm proposing that we aim to have it included at the next LAC as a proof
of concept. I'm sure that within a few years it could become a very
smoothly operated event.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey