Re: [LAU] A year of Linux Audio revisited - would like to know your oppinion

From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 07:57:51 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

> JACK has a number of problems, some of them significant. The things
> you've spoken about are not among them.

While I take the point that my understanding of what is going wrong when
I run jack is incomplete, what you have just told me is effectively: The
problems you claim to be experiencing are not happening. This kind of
thing is not a good basis for communication between developers and users.

> I guess you must have missed jack_set_buffer_size(). or perhaps you're
> stuck with JACK clients that don't want to handle such things, and JACK
> is just being respectful of their limitations. who really knows?

Now that you have explained it I understand that jack will indeed allow
clients to change the buffer size on the fly. But please remember that I
am an end user, not a programmer, and that I am very unlikely to be
familiar with anything containing underscores and ending with empty
brackets. It's not just one or two jack clients that don't allow you to
change the buffer size. After googling it seems that ardour (which I
haven't used for a while) may allow you to do it, but none of the other
jack clients that I know do – not even qjackctl. It also seems, judging
by recent posts, that a few people on this list don't know about this
feature either.

I'm sorry if you thought I was being thoughtless posting what I did. I
know that jack has great potential and that it already allows you to do
some fantastic things. I want linux audio to succeed. If something is
making it impossible even for me to work with it then it will certainly
be a big barrier for someone who cares less about free software. That's
why I believe I should speak up. Jack not working properly is one such
obstacle for me. Unfortunately I also have to say that being told to
RTFM is another. This kind of attitude to end users is deeply damaging.
Any project that drifts into that way of thinking will fail. Please
don't go that route!

Best
Robert