Re: [LAU] centralised bug management? (was: bad jack behavior)

From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 16 2007 - 22:01:12 EET

Pieter Palmers wrote:
> PS: apparently persistent subtle complaining on high-exposure lists does
> pay of on the long run :). Thx to Rui for constantly raising the
> priority of this issue. ;)

I am well aware that this might be a completely impracticable
suggestion, but as I don't know this for certain, I offer it anyway:

One thing I find very useful when I am using ubuntu is the centralised
bug management. This means that whenever I encounter a bug I can simply
click on a link to launchpad.net from my browser's toolbar bookmarks and
make my report. This may then sit around for months on end, it may get
dealt with by canonical if it is a packaging issue or something like
that, or it may get forwarded upstream to the developers. This means
that I can contribute to the project without spending too long away from
my work trying to sign up for yet another bugzilla or mailing list.
Because of this arrangement I have been able to report an awful lot of
bugs I might otherwise have ignored, a good few of which have been fixed
as a result of my reports.

I fully understand that Canonical is a completely different kind of
setup to the linux audio community, with a very different business
model, paid employees and some good sources of funding. All the same,
might it be possible to institute something comparable with regard to
linux pro-audio, or would that be way more trouble than it's worth? One
advantage of this might be that bugs could be assigned a priority
relative to the linux audio project as a whole. Another might be that
similar bugs affecting more than one project (such as poor integration
with jack) could be dealt with together.

If there is something to be said for this suggestion, might
launchpad.net be a suitable host?

Robert