Re: [LAU] Some kmix questions

From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 18 2007 - 08:21:22 EET

Bob van der Poel wrote:
> I'm running kde and have kmix as the mixer. I a little pop-up which is
> supposed to be a volume slider ... problem is that is really isn't. Not
> with my 24/96 card. Here's the problem: the card uses 2 channels, both
> labeled ADC to control the left and right volumes. I can assign one or
> the other to the <main volume> slider, but it only effects one channel.
> So, is there a way to tie the 2 together so I can easily control volume?
>
> Now, the reason I got to this at all is that I got a new keyboard
> (computer, not music) and it has some multimedia buttons on it. I've got
> volume-up/down and mute. The mute displays a nice Mute-On or Mute-Off
> message, but does nothing. And the up/down displays a nice slider and
> appears to do the same as kmix. Again, I need to tie the 2 sides
> together for this. Also, I have no idea of what the program for the
> multi-media keys is, but I assume it is kmix.

I have a different problem to yours with kmix and my audigy 2, in that
what is supposed to be the balance control does nothing when you move it
to the left, but fades the volume to zero when you move it right (and
then won't restore the volume when you centre it again). Although I have
not found any of the other various mixers for alsa to be completely
satisfactory, I have not been able to duplicate this particular problem
with any of them, which suggests to me that kmix has some problems
peculiar to itself. So it might be worth your while trying another mixer.

I have got better mileage out of kamix myself. However when I am
completely stuck I use gamix. It's not pretty, and many of the sliders
aren't labelled (at least not for the Audigy 2), but it should allow (or
at least it allows me) to control pretty well every mixer parameter on
your sound card.

Robert