Re: [LAU] Studio reverb (impulse)

From: Spencer Russell <spencer.f.russell@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 25 2007 - 10:31:05 EET

On Dec 25, 2007 12:14 AM, Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de> wrote:
> I think even the snare-rattling could be managed with an impulse response.
> Because it also just responds to some frequencies. Well maybe caught in an IR
> it's a little static. But that's fine!
> Kindest regards
> Julien

One thing about linear systems though, is that the output doesn't have
any frequency components that aren't in the input signal, it just
scales and phase-shifts frequency components according to the
frequency response. A snare rattle can generate wideband-ish noise in
response to a single frequency that makes the snare head vibrate, so
it's a nonlinear effect.

Hmm...maybe you could use an IR just of the snare drum to get the
resonant frequencies without the snare rattle and then use an envelope
follower on that to control the amplitude of some sort of snare-rattle
sound, so that when the snare is resonating it also makes a
rattle/buzz.

-spencer